Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Gabby's health journal - Part 4 - Month 2 Report

Well, things are going pretty well.  I'm averaging half a kilogram per week weight loss, my blood pressure is good, and my fitness is improving. (I can climb to the top of the Kangaroo Point stairs now - 106 steps straight up!)  I have reduced my Kineret dosage to one injection every 34 hours and, except for one hiccup, things have been going smoothly.  I continue to increase the intervals by one hour for a week and hopefully I can reach 36 hourly intervals without my illness (Schnitzler Syndrome) recurring.

I didn't have a migraine for two months, and then had two migraines in quick succession.  But overall, I'm feeling well and have more energy for daily tasks, like housework.  I have even started gardening again.

Have also been doing Bones for Life (Feldenkrais) movements every day and that feels wonderful.  I do my heel bounces when I'm out walking - while waiting for traffic lights to change.  I've noticed that I'm using my body in better ways, e.g. picking something up from the floor, I spontaneously bend my knees and do not bend from the waist.

I can walk 12km without a problem and am "in training" for a 17km bush walk in June - the Kin Kin loop of the Noosa Trail.  One great (Brisbane) city walking loop is: Walk to Southbank, along river to Go Between Bridge, along Coronation Drive to Toowong Village.  Have breakfast then a read in the Toowong Library.  Continue walk through back streets of St Lucia, hugging the river, to The University of Queensland, and home again via the Eleanor Schonell Bridge and Dutton Park.  A variation of that walk is to take a side trip to the Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens.  Recently, I walked the 9km trip via the Eleanor Schonell Bridge to St Lucia, Toowong, then to Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens without a rest break.  This is a miracle considering that when I was last ill with Schnitzler Syndrome (about two years ago), I couldn't even walk to the corner shop without bursting out into tears and having to rest before returning home.

I've been reading up on Interleukin 1, which causes inflammation and which I have in excess.  Omega-3 fatty acids are a good dietary source to keep them under control.  So I'm making sure I have lots of foods containing these in my diet.  As a vegetarian, I use plant sources such as walnuts, leafy greens, flax seeds, tahini, chia seeds, pepitas, avocado, hommus, sesame seeds, alfalfa sprouts.

I'm still juicing for breakfast each day and adding a dessertspoon of chia seeds.  Chia seeds give you the most amazing bowel movements.  I just love my Oscar Neo juicer.  Have found a great source of organic kale at Flannery's, just a few minutes walk from home.

Incidentally, I just took part in the National Bowel Cancer screening program and the results were GOOD.

A great new juice recipe:
fennel, parsnip, apple, cucumber, pineapple, lime juice, ginger
It's a lovely pale green.  A couple of squeezes of lime juice gives it something special.

My latest recipe for bliss balls is:

BASE MIX
Sprout organic wheat berries, sunflower seeds, quinoa, chia seeds, pepitas, flax seeds.
Soak almonds for 8 hours
Grind all the above through my Oscar Neo juicer (processing attachment), plus the following:
dried apricots/peaches/pears; dates; figs; sultanas.  (I have just bought some dried cranberries, which I'm going to add next time.)

OPTIONAL EXTRAS
After grinding, mix in cereal such as rolled oats, Just Right or Weetbix; and/or tahini. Coat with sesame seeds or dessicated coconut.  When I get some cacao, I'm going to try some of that with the mix.

I've also been making my own bread rolls ... hey, I'm on a roll.  To my basic wholemeal bread dough, I add sprouted wheat, quinoa, sunflower seeds, alfalfa and flax seeds.  All the good stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...