Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

ZEN AND THE ART OF NOT WRITING

As I walk by the river, nothing in particular on my mind, thoughts come seeping in.  Words bubble up and I write them down in my head or scribble them onto the backs of receipts.  Sometimes I draft them into my mobile phone or onto blank pages I have carried in my pocket for this purpose.

Yesterday, when my writing frenzy was over, I realised that I had walked a kilometre or so completely unaware of my surroundings.  The river, trees, birds, sunshine and other walkers had all receded.  But even with this fresh awareness, I then proceeded to write again in my head about this very thing, so insidious are those words in their need to escape.  I caught myself in the act and gently allowed the offending words to melt away.  I returned to the moment.

Ah, the song of the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...