Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Bex, an orange and a nice lie down

I wasn't cut out for motherhood.  I didn't have the right lingo.  My mother didn't have it either, but "real" mothers were supposed to say things like:

Don't go upsetting your father again.
Your not gettin' your pudding till you've eaten up all your vegies.
Put your socks where they belong in the drawer and not on the floor.
Have you done your homework yet?
Don't talk with your mouth full.
Where do you think you're going, Miss?
Boys won't respect you if you let them ....

Mercifully, my mother was different from everyone else's.  A friend of mine had to roleplay "the mother" in a psychology class and her portrayal sounded more like that of a witch.  I wouldn't really know how to roleplay a mother.  Mine didn't fit the stereotype.  The closest I could come would be to have a nice lie down with a Bex, an orange and an Agatha Christie novel.

It's Mum's birthday today.  She would have been 93.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...