Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Twitter etiquette

I've recently taken to writing in the bath.  In my head, of course, because paper gets soggy.  Only trouble is, there's no SAVE button on my brain.  By the time I'm dried and dressed, I've forgotten all my "priceless" gems.  What happens in the bath, stays in the bath.

However, I did remember this and am writing it down, bare-bottomed, before it vanishes, like the two stories I thought of earlier.

Oh, hang on, I've just remembered what one of them was about - Twitter Etiquette, or more precisely, the etiquette of re-tweeting, probably not something yet taught at finishing schools.

First, the tweeter (AKA the re-tweetee) thanks the retweeter for their retweets (RTs).  Then the retweeter replies with something like "My pleasure" or "No worries".  Usually it ends there, but on rare occasions, the original tweeter will round off the exchange with yet another tweet.  "Cheers", "OK" or the like.

When I first joined Twitter, I observed these unspoken rules of etiquette (twittiquette or tweetiquette, take your pick) in case I was thought of as rude.  Then I became slack with my tweetiquette, just checking what was being RTd and by whom - my favourite part of the day, my ego-boost.

These rules have just manifested on their own without discussion (to my knowledge) or a vote.  They just are.  Maybe there's a hashtag somewhere where people discuss these pressing concerns.  But I don't think I'll bother checking it out.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at " writing bare-bottomed"... Ha!!

    I don't tweet myself so I don't know what you're on about. Thing is, I've not been blogging of late, but I think I'm back now. I'll catch up with your posts/stories over the weekend.

    Have a great one, Gaye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, Twitter is what got me started writing. From haiku to very short stories, to flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...