Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Meeting with an "artist"

She called herself an artist and showed me a piece of pottery she had made some time ago.  Obviously proud of it, she kept it on show in her living area.

"I call this the Witch's Hood.  It is my depression."

Why did she keep this thing hanging around?  This dead thing of the past.  Hadn't the creation, the act of making it done its job of catharsis?  Surely now was the time to smash it to smithereens.

But no, it was displayed where she could see it every day and show it to all her visitors.  This I do not understand.  What was its purpose now?  Hadn't she let go of her depression once it was over?  Is something else going on here that I don't know about?  A few theories pop into my mind:

*  Depression was part of her identity.
*  Even though depression had gone, the experience still had some kind of psychological hold.
*  The piece represented who she was as an artist.
*  Her ego was tied up in the piece.
*  [Please add your own theories if you have any.]

I have often been impressed by people who create works of art that are intended to survive just for a single event.  Hindus make likenesses of deities for a procession at the end of which they will be toppled into the river.  Cake icers spend hours making gorgeous creations just to be gobbled up at weddings and birthday parties.  And buddhist monks can spend days carefully making a sand painting with the intention of destroying it.

I'm not suggesting that this should be the fate of all art ... but I'd love to have taken to that Witch's Hood with a hammer.

2 comments:

  1. As art is a deeply personal experience, maybe allowing her to experience it how she wants is what a friend does. Understanding her reasons ae of no import. Understanding your own though is all that should matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, MRM, it sure is a deeply personal experience, but I'm not sure if understanding her reasons was of no import. Why share your art with others if not for understanding?

    ReplyDelete

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...