Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Running the gauntlet at the supermarket

I risked another trip to the supermarket yesterday.  After last week's fiasco with the nit-picking mother (see my story "At the Checkout" on ThinkingTen"), I was understandably uneasy.  But, after pushing my trolley uneventfully for a few minutes, I began to relax.  Maybe I could, after all, run the gauntlet of the aisles without seeing or hearing something that would send me into paroxysms of inappropriate laughter this time.

But as I went past the deli counter, the shop assistant called out: "No. 1?  Do we have a No. 1?  No?  How about a No. 2?"  I couldn't stifle my laughter, but everyone else remained unsmiling.

No-one owned up to being No. 1 or No. 2, probably from embarrassment, but when she asked for No. 3, a woman said: "Yes, that's me".  Clearly, she had never watched Miss Jocelyn, the English comedian, who has at least up to No. 4 for things you can do in the toilet.

Maybe such euphemisms are a bit twee, but I knew a family who went to the other extreme, saying things like: "We'll stop for a urination break soon" or "Mummy, I need to defaecate".  I kid you not.  I heard it firsthand while on a picnic with them.  Those kids had never wee-weed or pooed their pants in their lives.  It would have been linguistically improper.

Anyhow, I managed to finish my shopping and escape through the checkout without any more trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...