Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Some of life's gifts

We stood in the queue at the city hall when they were giving measles shots.  Me and Mum.  I didn't cry, but a boy I knew, Donny, was bawling his eyes out and they hadn't even touched him yet.  And he played with dolls.

I never played with dolls.  Couldn't understand why anyone would bother.  Bor-ring!

I had a toy train set.  And a Davy Crocket hat that I wore to death, even through the hot days of summer.  But the most exciting present I ever received was when Mum bought me a present for doing well in my exams.  "I want grass clippers" I had said without hesitation.  I ran with them all the way to Pamela Toohill's place two blocks away.  Thrilled to bits.  Had to show them off.  She wasn't impressed.  Another time I asked for a garden hose.  Again, I couldn't understand why my friends looked at me strangely when I waxed lyrical about it.  Their problem.

My mother gave me a doll for my sixth birthday.  Don't know why.  It was the only doll I ever owned.  Still, I never invited any of my friends over to play dolls or, in  my case, doll; or house; or mummies and daddies.  Not like Nancy Turner from down the road, who was remotely related to me via my Danish great grandfather.  [A lot of the people in my neighbourhood were remotely related to me as the result of a Danish cohort which had moved to the area in the late 19th century - the Hansens, Andersens, Lorensens.]  She had a gazillion dolls and even a pram to push them around in.  She said: "Let's play dolls".  I didn't know what to do with the bloody things.  Those lifeless, useless things that just lie there and stare at you.  She never asked me again.

I preferred my dancing black man made of painted tin.  Not PC these days.  But he was great.  His arms and legs dangled and jangled.  A post-war version of Michael Jackson.

But I wasn't a tomboy.  I was sweet, timid, quiet, a "little doll" as the lady in the shop called me.  I wore pretty, frilly dresses and ribbons in my hair.

Before Christmas one year, Mum took me to town to pick out my Christmas present and see Santa Claus, even though I never believed in him.  [The Easter Bunny, however, was a different story.]  She called it "town" and I still do, but everyone else calls it "the city" nowadays.  Brisbane's grown a lot since the 1950s.

I still remember catching sight of the child-sized table and chairs.  It was bare, unpainted pine, exactly what I wanted.  My china tea set would look real nice on it.  That Christmas morning was one of the rare times I got angry as a child.  There on the verandah were my wonderful table and chairs.  But Mum had got "young Colin next door" [not to be confused with his father "Big Colin", yet another remote relative] to paint them.  The natural wood I loved so much had been smothered.

Blind fury!  Betrayal!  No words to express my hurt!  My mother didn't understand me after all.  Now I knew just how Jesus had felt when his mother didn't think to look for him in the temple.  [A bit of poetic licence here.  I had not even heard of Jesus at that age.]   I grabbed one of Dad's tools and smashed into the table.  Again and again and again!  They didn't punish me.  Why should they have?  It was "her" sin.  I did play with it over the coming years, but it wasn't what it could have been.

I am writing this in shorthand at my intarsia woodwork class, in between sanding small pieces of wood.  A lady has just walked up to me and, admiring the cockatoo wall plaque I am making, said:

"Are you going to colour him?"

Glancing briefly at a very pointed tool, I simply smile and say sweetly: "No, I want the wood grain to show."

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

As I walk by the river or sit in my tiny garden, not thinking of anything in particular, thoughts sometimes seep into my brain. If you'd like to read my seepage, here it is ...